The FUJIFILM X-H2 digicam has simply been introduced and let me inform you, FUJIFILM did an excellent job in balancing digicam specs/efficiency and value. Makes me marvel, are we trying on the APS-C mirrorless digicam of the yr? Time will inform as we nonetheless have 4 months to go till the top of the yr, however all in all, this digicam is my present prime candidate for this title as of now. Hold studying to seek out out why…
Let’s begin with a quiz. What appears utterly an identical to the X-H2S, but weighs the identical regardless of having the next decision? (Joke). Properly, at the moment is the day the FUJIFILM X-H2 was introduced. Sadly, although, I’m not accomplished enhancing the mini-documentary I shot with the digicam, however will probably be launched quickly. In any case, this first-look assessment relies on my expertise working with the digicam.
Unsure if you happen to had an opportunity to take a better have a look at our FUJIFILM X-H2S assessment, however writing that article was not that “straightforward”. The X-H2S is a good little digicam, but, already figuring out what the X-H2 is bringing to the desk excited me much more.
Welcome, FUJIFILM X-H2!
Normally, an “much less superior” product would discover it arduous to compete with its upper-class sibling. Nonetheless, on this explicit case, the brand new X-H2 digicam can look proper into the “white of the eyes” of the X-H2S with out having any inferiority emotions. That being mentioned, the X-H2S is a leading-class product, however in my view, the X-H2 is solely higher.
FUJIFILM X-H2 vs X-H2S
Let me reduce proper into it and spotlight the benefits of the X-H2S:
- 6.2K open gate (3:2) possibility. Nice for anamorphic work or reframing your footage on a 16×9 timeline
- Excessive Body Fee recording as much as 4K/120p
- FUJIFILM authentic stacked sensor design for improved “pace efficiency” which interprets right into a decreased rolling shutter impact. Discover out extra about how the X-H2S did in our lab check by taking an in depth have a look at our newly introduced databases.
So the FUJIFILM X-H2 does not have a stacked sensor BUT, it’s newly developed back-illuminated 40.2MP X-trans CMOS sensor (Era 5) and succesful X-Processor 5, permits the digicam to file internally in ProRes as much as 8K/30p (HQ/422/LT). One may file ProRes Proxy recordsdata, which is absolutely nice. (Ensure that to not exceed the 6.2K decision so as to have the ability to use this characteristic).
Ditching the stacked sensor helped FUJIFILM to scale back the worth of the X-H2 and set it at $1999. Now, whereas investing that form of cash in a digicam may not be for everybody, I hope that the consensus will likely be that the worth for cash this filming device brings, may make each photographers and filmmakers moderately comfortable.
So subsequent to the decreased sensor pace efficiency, are there any extra video limitations in comparison with the X-H2S? Properly, sure, however none that can cease me from contemplating this digicam from being a chief candidate for being our “APS-C digicam of the yr”.
Now, one may ask themselves “why ought to I even hassle with a product that has some limitations?”, and my reply to this will likely be very clear. It’s NOT an inferior product in any means. Sure, it could have been nice to have greater body fee/open gate choices and higher rolling shutter efficiency, but on the finish of the day, this newly introduced X-H2 digicam IS FUJIFILM’s “Swiss Military Knife” product! One which if used nicely, can simply cowl many taking pictures situations.
X-H2 – what there’s to love (in no explicit order)
Let me spotlight just some of the options I actually like:
- 8K as much as 30fps ProRes inner recording (To my data, it’s the first APS-C sensor digicam to allow 8K/30P Apple ProRes inner recording)
- 6.2K ProRes inner recording
- 4K (UHD and DCI) ProRes inner recording in as much as 60p (it is available in two flavors – HQ and regular. Extra on this under)
- Simpler handbook focus adjustment with a brand new “focus meter” aiding operate
- Good IBIS. Surprisingly a a lot better one than the one discovered contained in the X-H2S
- Good lowlight efficiency regardless of having a high-density pixel sensor
- Digital Zoom with restricted image high quality loss (Can be utilized in 4K/4KDCI HQ and Full HD modes)
- Evidently that F-Log2 and kind A HDMI connector are current, too
4K/4K DCI HQ Recording
Simply to make clear one thing about this HQ taste recording. Whereas selecting this selection, the 4K decision will likely be oversampled from the 8K sensor leading to a superior (sharper) 4K decision picture. The conventional 4K/4K DCI makes use of “horizontal line skipping” which could not be adequate quality-wise for some.
Excessive ISO Recording
One of many issues that caught my consideration is how nicely the digicam information in lowlight conditions regardless of having a 40.2MP sensor. When diving a bit into it, I came upon the next:
The perfect S/N ratio might be obtained in as much as ISO6400 (emphasizing decision at low S/N). When filming with greater ISO values, one may anticipate a little bit of a softer picture.
X-H2 within the area
I really had a good time working with this digicam! When it comes to dealing with, it has the identical actual physique because the X-H2S, which you’ll examine in this assessment, and applies to this digicam, too (the digicam grip is simply too deep for small fingers and the”bump” doesn’t assist both).
Two small quirks that stored bothering me whereas working however is perhaps mounted with a firmware replace are:
- The brand new digicam presents a digital zoom possibility when filming in 4K/Full HD decision (As much as 2X). This is perhaps helpful to discover in some filming conditions. Now, with the brand new FUJINON 18-120mm lens it really works nice, BUT, when turning the digicam “OFF” after which “ON” once more, the “Digital Zoom” setting resets itself to “OFF” place. Not a biggy, however it could be good if the digicam remembers the final settings.
- It appears as if not all lenses are supporting this “Digital Zoom” possibility. I used to be not profitable with the XC 15-45mm lens. Although then again, the XF 16-55mm labored flawlessly.
The digicam heat-dissipating design is much like the one applied within the X-H2S (restricted recording time with no fan and prolonged efficiency with the fan accent). Whereas filming, I didn’t encounter any delays merely due to the digicam not shutting down on me, BUT that is in fact very a lot depending on the atmosphere you’re working in.
I can’t say a lot about taking pictures with IBIS engaged (Enhance ON). I filmed a lot handheld, and the efficiency of the IBIS on this digicam was so good to have.
Personally, the X-H2 is the most effective digicam for video FUJIFILM has ever made! I’m certain it’ll additionally cater nicely to those that want to supply video subsequent to photograph content material because the 40.2MP sensor is adequate for such a “twin activity”. With so many decision choices (Full HD – 8K), subsequent to a strong inner recording 4:2:2 10- bit codec (ProRes), good IBIS, and good autofocus efficiency, I predict that this digicam will likely be a success, particularly contemplating its engaging value ($1999). Add good audio and lowlight capabilities and there you could have it – a really versatile working device! So the underside line is, after filming with each, the X-H2S and X-H2, the latter is my most popular possibility. Not as a result of I don’t recognize Open Gate, Excessive Body-Fee recording, or quick sensor functionality, however I can merely dwell with these shortcomings and in trade earn higher recording flexibility and good IBIS efficiency (which is crucial for my documentary work).
What do you consider the X-H2? And extra importantly, what can be your most popular possibility? Relating to decrease digicam costs however decrease specs, would you tolerate this? Many questions, I do know, however please share with us your ideas within the remark part under.